It’s no secret that regular exercise is one of the healthiest things you can do for yourself. From increased strength and energy to improved mood and flexibility, there are numerous benefits to working up a sweat. This is especially true for seniors, who face new health challenges as they age and can reap myriad rewards from physical fitness.
That concept is why CDPHP® offers our Senior Fit® program as an added benefit to our Medicare Choices members. CDPHP Senior Fit provides an array of no-cost wellness options for older adults of all lifestyles and activity levels, ensuring you live well and stay well.
Studies have shown that regular exercise can prevent injury and disease, which means fewer doctor visits, medications, and hospitalizations as you age and become more susceptible. Even those with chronic conditions can benefit from staying active, as physical fitness can be an effective treatment for arthritis, heart disease, diabetes, and more.
Regular exercise can be beneficial for the mind, too. Staying active impacts cognitive function and allow seniors to multitask, plan, and maintain a sharp memory. Exercise also promotes socialization by getting you out of the house and into the gym, helping thwart the isolation and resulting depression that can plague aging adults.
Lastly, staying fit and healthy promotes independence and allows you to maintain the recreational activities, pace, and overall lifestyle you’re used to. If you’re a CDPHP Medicare Choices member, take a look at what CDPHP Senior Fit can do for you. As always, check with your doctor before beginning any exercise regimen.
No-Cost Fitness and Wellness Options
Through CDPHP Senior Fit, Medicare Choices members have no-cost access to numerous programs, gyms, and wellness centers where they can exercise, socialize, and improve their health. Members are encouraged to visit any of these locations for a free tour. And to keep things simple, enrolling is as simple as showing your CDPHP Medicare Choices ID card!
SilverSneakers offers a national network of participating fitness centers where Medicare Choices members can work out and attend classes for all ability levels. Many sites feature saunas, steam rooms, heated pools, and convenient parking.
Well-known Capital Region SilverSneakers locations include:
- Capital District YMCA – Choose from 12 conveniently located gyms, complete with exercise equipment and fitness classes. Many also offer pools, saunas, and indoor tracks.
- Sidney Albert Albany Jewish Community Center – No-cost senior fitness classes, exercise equipment, a pool, and water aerobics are available to maintain and improve cardiovascular health, strength, and flexibility.
- Sunnyview Lifestyle Wellness Center – Take advantage of no-cost access to state-of-the-art equipment and free weights, as well as Sunnyview’s unique therapy pool, which features a moveable floor to accommodate people of all abilities (including those in wheelchairs or with walkers).
- Glens Falls YMCA – This site offers exercise equipment, fitness classes, a pool, and an indoor track.
There are numerous additional SilverSneakers locations throughout the Capital Region.
Those who are unable to get to a fitness facility can enroll in SilverSneakers Steps, a self-directed program designed for your lifestyle and fitness level. Steps includes a choice of four kits – general fitness, strength, walking, and yoga.
The Rudy A. Ciccotti Family Recreation Center
The Ciccotti Center is the first and only medical fitness complex in New York. Members have access to a fitness center with cardio and strength-training equipment, a 25-yard lap pool, group exercise, and more. The Ciccotti Center also offers:
- Well On Our Way Program — Sponsored by CDPHP, Well On Our Way provides free exercise, health education, and support to those affected by a variety of diseases, including cancer, heart disease, and diabetes. This program is free for Senior Fit members and non-members.
- Next Steps — This fitness program provides support for individuals transitioning from or managing a medical condition. Customized exercise plans are available for a fee and are based on ability and instructions from the person’s health care provider when necessary. Eight-week programs are open to the community and include Cancer Fitness, Cardiac Fitness, Diabetes Fitness, Functional Fitness, Orthopedic Fitness, Pre-Hab Fitness, Pulmonary Fitness, Transitional Care, and Weight Management.
- CDPHP Customer ConnectSM – Meet with a CDPHP member relations specialist to get answers to your questions, enroll in a plan, request a new ID card, and more. Other locations include the Healthy Living Center and Capital Region Health Park at 711 Troy Schenectady Road in Latham.
Beltrone Living Center
Beltrone is a unique independent living community that offers a lifestyle and several on-site amenities designed for active adults. CDPHP Medicare Choices members can exercise and take wellness classes at the Colonie Senior Services Center, which is also on-site.
Other No-Cost Senior Fit Wellness Options
CDPHP Medicare Choices members can take advantage of additional wellness and fitness programs available through CDPHP Senior Fit, at no cost, including:
Wellness classes – CDPHP offers classes year-round throughout our service area. Try tai chi, yoga, body sculpting, healthy cooking, and more. Visit the CDPHP website to view the latest calendar and to register.
Weigh 2 Be® – Lose weight safely and effectively through this program. Sign up for an assortment of helpful resources, including information on eating healthy and staying active, periodic emails from CDPHP that include tips to help you reach your goal, and more.
CDPHP® Health AllySM – This program provides Medicare Choices members and their caregivers with personalized, one-on-one support, education, and help navigating benefits and community-based services. After you enroll in a Medicare Choices plan, a Health Ally professional will call you to assess your health and determine how we can meet your needs.
Health Coach ConnectionSM – Connect with a care professional, such as a nurse, dietitian, or respiratory therapist, anytime, day or night. You will receive no-cost support and advice on dealing with your particular health challenges.
The Healthy Living Center – CDPHP partnered with the Capital District YMCA and Hannaford to open the Healthy Living Center, located in the Hannaford Supermarket at 900 Central Ave. in Albany. Work out, take a free wellness class, and meet with a CDPHP member relations specialist.
CDPHP® InMotionSM – Download this popular, user-friendly app to your smartphone or log on from your home computer. You can use CDPHP InMotion to track your fitness and nutritional activities; map walking, running, or biking routes; connect with friends; and more.
The adage “move it or lose it” becomes more of a truism as you age. CDPHP Senior Fit gives you the tools you need to stay sharp, strong, mobile, and happy.