Community

CDPHP is so much more than a health insurance company. We’re on the ground in the community where you live, and we’re working to improve the lives and health of those in your neighborhoods, schools, and workplaces. Through our Charity of Choice program, employees can volunteer their time, talents, and resources to support one worthwhile charity each year. In addition, we sponsor the Workforce Team Challenge, health and fitness expos, health forums, and other community events that promote a healthy lifestyle.

We’re everywhere you are, in the Capital District and beyond. Won’t you join us?

Recently posted in Community

step into national parks

Step into National Parks

The first U.S. national park, Yellowstone National Park, was established by Congress in 1872 and is known worldwide for its colorful hot springs and the Old Faithful geyser, which shoots water 100 feet into the air. While Yellowstone is the most famous national park, there are so many more amazing parks to explore and experience!

continue reading →

Putting Herself First

One Mom’s Commitment to Better Health

Since 2010, I’ve been a proud team coach of Arterial Motives for the American Heart Association’s Capital Region Heart Walk & Run. I walk alongside my family and friends in memory of my dad and grandfather, as well as in honor of several loved ones who have overcome heart disease. I walk with my uncle who received a new heart two years ago. continue reading →

12 Cool Parks and Playgrounds in the Capital Region…And Beyond

Whether we like to admit it or not, we are living in a technology-crazed world. I knew I was in trouble when my not-even 2 year old learned how to scroll through Facebook on my iPhone! The good news is that we reside in an area where we can take kids to do many cool things that don’t involve media, including going to fun local parks and playgrounds. Not only is it a great way for kids to burn off energy, but they’re also free, and there’s bound to be one near you. continue reading →

The Ultimate Guide for Sports Fans in Upstate New York

Being a sports fan in upstate New York means that you have to travel a long distance to see teams in the four major sports leagues (baseball, basketball, football, and hockey).

Your favorite teams may be from the opposite ends of New York state, from New York City up to Buffalo. Maybe you cheer on a team that you backed when you were young, or from where you grew up (I’m looking at you, Boston and Philadelphia fans who now live in upstate New York).

Just because the teams you see on television aren’t right around the corner doesn’t mean you can’t find a great game or sporting event in upstate New York. Here’s a guide to some of the games, competitions, tournaments, and cool places to go for the true sports fan.

continue reading →

Network of doctors

This Quiet Revolution Is Turning Health Care Upside Down

I spent 25 years practicing medicine as a cardiologist. During that time, I liked to believe that my patients listened when I recommended they lose weight or quit smoking, took their medications as prescribed, and for all intents and purposes, followed doctor’s orders.

As a physician, I liked to believe I was having an impact on the lives of my patients. And many times, I was. But I’ve been on the other side of the equation for a little more than 10 years now, and one of the things I’ve learned as a health plan CEO is that it’s often what happens outside the doctor’s office that has the biggest impact on a person’s health.

continue reading →